- Indonesia volcano: Dozens injured as residents flee huge ash cloud from Mt Semeru
Residents sprinted for cover from a giant ash cloud as Mt Semeru erupted on Indonesia's Java island.
- Afghanistan: Taliban warned against targeting former security forces
US and allies "deeply concerned" about human rights abuses against former Afghan security forces.
- Pacific Ocean garbage patch is immense plastic habitat
Researchers discover coastal species living on debris miles from their natural surroundings.
- Why France faces so much anger in West Africa
Despite engaging better with the African continent recently, the ex-colonial power faces a backlash.
- Mandatory vaccinations: Three reasons for and against
Blanket vaccination mandates are on the agenda but do they work and what are their costs?
- Biden and Putin to talk amid Ukraine invasion fears
On Tuesday the US and Russian leaders will speak amid mounting concerns of Russia invading Ukraine.
- Chris Cuomo: CNN fires presenter over help he gave politician brother
The star TV presenter is sacked over efforts to help his brother defend sexual harassment claims.
- South Africa: The rape survivor who convicts rapists
Rape survivor Sgt Catherine Tladi has secured several convictions for rape in South Africa's courts.
- Why Ugandan troops have entered DR Congo - again
Previous incursions have led to accusations of looting and abuse, so will it be different this time?
- Bus carrying choir members plunges into Kenya river
At least 23 die as a bus taking a church choir group to a wedding plunges into a flooded river.
- Rare turtle washes up 4,000 miles from home
Tally the Turtle is recovering in a UK zoo awaiting a flight back to the warm waters of Mexico.
- Michigan school shooting: Suspect's parents deny involuntary manslaughter
Bail is set at $1m for the couple arrested in Detroit after failing to attend court on Friday.
- Belgian zoo hippos test positive for Covid
Officials at Antwerp zoo do not know how the pair - now in quarantine - caught the virus.
- ICYMI: Jumping into an active volcano, and other ways to spend the festive season
Jumping into an active volcano is just one way to spend the festive season, in news you may have missed this week.
- Eitan Biran: Cable car survivor returned to Italy after custody battle
Eitan Biran, the sole survivor of a cable car crash, is now in Italy after a custody battle.